- FNPW was incorporated on 29 June 1970 as a company limited by guarantee ACN 000 744 516 regulated by the Australian Securities and Investment Commission
to protect consumers, investors and creditors.
- FNPW was established as a national not-for-profit organisation to grow appreciation of and raise funds for the benefit of the natural environment and cultural heritage of Australia under Constitution (as amended 2 February 2000).
- FNPW has a voluntary, unremunerated President, Treasurer and Secretary, and Board of Directors. These positions are elected annually to oversee the activities of FNPW.
- The FNPW Board is supported by the Finance & Risk Committee, Fundraising & Marketing Committee, Projects Committee, and Nominations Committee. The committees are comprised of FNPW staff, board members, and external representatives as appropriate.
- The FNPW Board meet six times a year and its Committees meet between 3-6 times a year. They are guided by FNPW’s Constitution, corporate strategies, annual business plans, as well as supporting marketing and other strategies and plans.
- FNPW provides an annual report on the previous year’s performance with externally audited financial accounts to its Members (the Governors and Life Members) at its Annual General Meeting.
- A copy of FNPW's annual report and financial statement is provided to the Commonwealth Department of Environment and Heritage as part of FNPW’s statutory requirements.
- As a national entity, FNPW also seeks approval in each relevant State and Territory to undertake fundraising activities.
- FNPW is registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) as a charity focused on advancing the natural environment.
- FNPW holds an Authority to Fundraise for Charitable Purposes with the Department of Gaming and Racing.
- FNPW is registered with the Australian Taxation Office for Goods and Services Tax (GST) ABN 90107744771.
- FNPW is endorsed by the Australian Taxation Office as a Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) as a public museum, and as an Income Tax Exempt Charitable Entity (ITEC) as a charitable institution.
- FNPW is exempted by the Office of State Revenue from pay-roll tax.
- FNPW is the Trustee of the FNPW Gift Fund Trust ABN 42651974301 (Deed of Settlement 2 February 2000, DGR, ITEC) that was entered into the Register of Environmental Organisations kept by the Commonwealth Department of Environment and Heritage on 9 February 2001 and entitled to receive tax deductible donations of money and property.
- FNPW is the registered office of The Gondwana Program BRN T2383504 a membership loyalty program for national parks and wildlife supporters.
- FNPW is the registered office of Friends of National Parks BRN R3566341 a community-based volunteer program for conservation of national parks and wildlife.