The ACT Wildlife Heroes Emergency Fund grant program is funded and managed by the Foundation for National Parks & Wildlife.
ACT Wildlife Heroes Emergency Fund
Through this program a minimum of $25,000 is available to support emergency related activities over the 2019-20 financial year.
The program aims to achieve the following outputs:
- Decrease cost of emergency response to individual carers
- Increase number of wildlife that can be rescued and cared for during an emergency
- Enable wildlife groups to buy appropriate equipment and PPE for emergency response
The program aims to achieve the following outcomes:
- Improve efficiency, safety and effectiveness of wildlife emergency response operations
- Support wildlife volunteers to respond to emergencies (financially, organisationally, psychologically)
- Improve wildlife group emergency response capacity long-term
Who is Eligible to Apply?
FNPW considers proposals for funding from:
- Sub-groups of ACT Wildlife
How Can You Apply? Applications can be received on SmartyGrants portal.
Applications will only be accepted via the online applications portal.
The portal includes examples of the application form and information regarding dates for application for each round.
In this program the maximum grant available is up to $5,000 for sub-groups of ACT Wildlife. It is expected that the average grant will be of
the order of $3,000
Eligible items the grant can pay for:
- fuel vouchers for volunteers working on emergency operations
- cages, tents, tables and other equipment
- animal food and formula
- feeding bottles, teats, syringes, needles, wipes
- wraps and pouches
- rehydration fluid and other first aid medication
- first aid kit materials
- PPE and safety equipment for volunteers including hats, sunscreen, fluoro vests, torches
- water and food for volunteer refreshments
- hiring fees for local hall or room to be used as a wildlife emergency operation centre
- veterinary services
Ineligible expenses for this grant:
- stipends or personal payments for time worked
- administration costs
- any costs incurred as part of business as usual e.g. hotline expenses, normal office materials
- any costs not occurred as a result or in preparation for the designated emergency
- any item not on the eligible items list
Major catastrophic events: additional funds may be made available at the discretion of the funder for temporary accommodation
for wildlife care facilities and volunteers.
Contract and reporting requirements
Grants made available through this program are one off.
If your organisation is successful in receiving a grant you will be required to complete a grant agreement and a final report outlining
the expenditure requested in your application. By submitting an application you are agreeing to comply with the obligations set out in the
Example contract (pdf) - correct
as of 10 Feb, 2020
Example acquittal form (pdf) - correct as of 10 Feb, 2020
Note: Not all groups are able to be funded. All applicants will be notified of the status of your project after evaluation.
Further information on the Wildlife Heroes project.
Wildlife Heroes FAQ (220 KB)
Contact us directly about the project, including grant enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org